- View the 90 Day Interace Usage Report
- View Details on Unused Interfaces
- Create an Auto-Grouping Rule for Unused Interfaces
Statseeker’s Interface Usage (90 Days) report offers insight into the extent and location of under-utilized infrastructure on your network, potentially saving your organization a lot of time and money.
In this article we will learn how to:
- Identify the most under utilized infrastructure on your network
- View specific details on this hardware
- Create auto-grouping rules to collect all interfaces that haven’t seen any traffic in X days
View the 90 Day Interace Usage Report
The 90 Day Interace Usage Report is a standard NIM Console report, available on all Statseeker installations. To run the report, select Historical / Management > Interface Usage (90 days).
The default report is unfiltered, so covers your entire network, returning details on your network infrastructure that has interfaces which have not reported any traffic in the previous 90 days. The default sorting is by those devices with the highest number of unused interfaces, but as with any Statseeker tabular report, you can modify the sorting as needed and filter the report by selecting one or more devices or groups prior to running the report.
View Details on Unused Interfaces
The Interface Usage (90 days) report identifies devices with unused interfaces and, once run, you can use the report to filter down to data on any of the devices presented in the report.
Clicking on the Device Name for an entry in the report will launch the Device Viewer. From there you can run a large number of reports including the:
- Device Details report, to retrieve the physical location of the device
- Device Hardware report, to view details such as the device model and serial numbers, and the device’s software and firmware versions
Clicking on any of the other columns in the Interface Usage (90 days) report will the Interface Details report, which can be used to see which interfaces on the report are currently unused (red).
Create an Auto-Grouping Rule for Unused Interfaces
From the NIM Console:
- Select Administration Tool > User Profile/Grouping > Auto Grouping
This will display the Statseeker Auto Grouping Rules screen.
- Click Add to display the New Auto Grouping Rule configuration screen
- Provide a Rule Name
- Specify the name of a Group to Populate; providing a new name will create a group
- Set Group Type to Interface
- Add and Attribute Filter
- if90day set to 0, this will target all interfaces that have not had any traffic over the last 90 days
The Auto Grouping Rule configuration is complete.
- Click Test Rule to preview the effect this rule will have
- Click Run Now to run the rule without saving it
- Click Save Rule to save the rule; it will be applied during the next discovery/rewalk
This rule is a prime candidate for a run once rule, that is, a rule that is configured, tested and run, but not
- Be mindful of adding new devices; if this auto grouping rule runs before a newly added device sees traffic, then its’ interfaces will have polling turned off
- Some devices affected by this rule may see traffic at a later date, but Statseeker will not be polling this interface for data